Monday, July 14, 2008 at Monday, July 14, 2008 |  

He has been at the club just a week, but already new manager Luiz Felipe Scolari is beginning to feel at home at Chelsea, with no small part played by his hard working and committed players.

The squad returned to our Cobham training ground on Monday morning for medical testing before getting training underway on Tuesday, a first chance for the Brazilian to cast his eyes over the team he has inherited.

Having only arrived on Sunday himself, Scolari, pictured in his new club suit, has been quick to make himself at home, but admitted to feeling a little overwhelmed during his first visit to our training complex.

'When I arrived I met all the staff and saw everything, I was a bit scared with the enormity of it all. After this, I thought okay, I am here now. I need to work very well in this club because I have arrived in the best position in the world - coach for Chelsea.'

Having been a player himself, he recalls the feeling of coming back into work for the first time in pre-season, and so was pleasantly surprised at what he saw on Monday.

'When I was a player and we arrived for pre-season, first day, second day, when I was a player I remember my time and as a coach now I know the players. They are tired, thinking about the holidays, not happy starting to train because it is difficult,' he began, using the English players as an example.

'After forty-five days for holidays for some because England didn't go to the Euros, they lost their working routine, but no, they arrived fresh, happy, and excited.

'I saw between the players friendship. This is important to have a good atmosphere I and observed their reaction.'

While not all players are yet back, Scolari is already working with a large group, and acknowledges it will be a challenge to keep all of them in peak condition. However he points to his previous coaching roles as evidence that he likes to keep everybody involved.

'They need to know that 11 play. It is my job to choose and to speak to the players, train them more and give a chance in this game or that game, something to give them confidence and keep them happy to take their chance in the future,' he explained.

'They have to be professional. Eleven in the field and seven on the bench, but some players are out for one game, two games. I am observing every training, every day, watching reactions. If it is possible I will give chances to all players.

'Don't forget my history in the World Cup, not playing only two goalkeepers for Brazil [in a squad of 23 men]. In Euro 2008, it was the same, not playing only two or three players. If I have the chance to play a player, I will because every day he is training hard.'

Scolari, a World Cup winner as coach of his home country in 2002, was asked why English international football has suffered in recent seasons.

Speaking on England players, his response was typically thoughtful and knowledgeable, before placing his confidence in close friend Fabio Capello to get the national team back on track.

'They [English players] have a good technique, and I think they have the mentality for football because football was born here. But don't forget other national teams have very good players.

'You are here and say England is the best, in Brazil they say Brazil is the best and Argentina the same.

'I don't know very well what's happened, I'm not working with these players in the national team. But I like the England team and I hope the best for England because I wish the best for Capello. I like him a lot, he is my best friend'

The 59-year-old explained that his relationship with Capello goes back to his time as Brazil manager.

'He gave me confidence when I started to play three full-backs and in Brazil they wanted to kill me because it is not normal there. I met him at Roma and he said to me "Follow your idea."

'I said "They want to kill me," and he said: "No problem! Follow your idea!"

'I like him because he gave me confidence when I needed it. Cafu played in Roma, Emerson did and at the time Aldair.

'Sometimes he would say "Don't take this player because he is not in good condition", but I didn't respect his opinion and took the player. And what happened? We played and lost. Who made the mistake, the man he said no! So I said "Okay Capello, now I follow you!"'

So he has learned well from the Italian, but also found time to compare himself to his new adversary, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Scolari believes there are similarities between himself and the Scot.

'I respect him a lot, not only because he is Manchester coach but what he made in life. I respect him. I hope to have the same vitality he has at his age. His power, strength and passion for football is fantastic.

'Maybe I am the same as Sir Alex. Sometimes I am frightening. I think I have some similarities to Ferguson. Sometimes I listened to [Manchester United players] Cristiano Ronaldo or Nani, and they say he is like a father, and I am the same.

'But sometimes, you need to stop and be hard. This is my philosophy. What makes me angry? Lack of professionalism.'

From what he has seen so far though, that will not be something at the forefront of Scolari's mind.

Instead he will be focused on preparing his new men for the start of the season, and making sure we are in the best position to reclaim some silverware in 2008/9.

Posted by Daring

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger templates